Marilyn Frederick will "fight back against the radical left's agenda." Those aren't my words. Those are the words from an endorsement that Marilyn Frederick herself posted to her campaign's Facebook page. The quote is from the Chairman of the Republican Party of Texas, Allen West.
Saturday, May 15, 2021
Friday, May 14, 2021
Based on the Ron Chernow biography, previously reviewed in The Wheel.
Thursday, May 13, 2021
Wednesday, May 12, 2021
Chico, California, is not Richardson, Texas. But recent events there have a lesson for us here. The story is in The Intercept. In 2018 the Camp Fire burned the neighboring town of Paradise to the ground. Residents of Chico welcomed thousands of evacuees, opening their homes and shelters and turning parks and even a Walmart parking lot into campgrounds, with the Chico residents donating tents and sleeping bags. But...there always has to be a but.
Tuesday, May 11, 2021
Monday, May 10, 2021
The Richardson Police Department is eager to move on. Not everyone. The rank and file still have a complaint they want investigated. Let's just say the City Manager, to whom the department reports, wants to move on. From what, you ask? Pull up a chair. This will take a while.
The nominal need to move on is that long-time Police Chief Jim Spivey is retiring at the end of May. So, in a Friday news dump, the City named Assistant Chief Gary Tittle as the new Police Chief effective June 1. But before we get distracted by the new chef, we have some other pots simmering on the stove to deal with.
Friday, May 7, 2021
The recent election for two Richardson ISD trustees completes the transition to a new election system that consists of five single-member districts and two at-large places. Or rather, the run-off election June 5 for the at-large Place 7 will complete the transition. And if there's anything that demonstrates the need for single-member districts it's the voting map for that at-large Place 7 election.
Thursday, May 6, 2021
Wednesday, May 5, 2021
|From 2019 11 20 Abu Simbel|
Tuesday, May 4, 2021
Monday, May 3, 2021
The City of Richardson's City Council elections are over (except for the run-offs). The Richardson ISD school board elections are over (except for the run-offs). The RISD bond approval elections are over. Some of the elections were over early in the evening. Some dragged late into the night. Some went as expected. Some offered surprises. After the jump, my verbose reactions to all of them.
Saturday, May 1, 2021
- 2021-04-02: Using my metric, "we're getting close to the end of the pandemic." (link)
- 2021-04-02: The Father (2020): Woman deals with her aging father. Characters come and go, scenes repeat, each time slightly differently, until you aren't sure if you are seeing reality or the world through the father's dementia. Deserved Oscar noms for Olivia Coleman and Anthony Hopkins. B+
- 2021-04-02: It seems only right. Georgians are taking the state back to a time when baseball didn't yet exist.
- 2021-04-03: Now 65+, another step closer to the end of the pandemic, by my metric. (link)
- 2021-04-03: Great quote about Richardson Pearce's Drew Timme:
After the jump, more random thoughts.