Wednesday, March 31, 2021
Tuesday, March 30, 2021
Monday, March 29, 2021
My recommendation is that the City revoke this gag order from its social media policy. Social Media Policy: (Exhibit A, pgs. 85-87)
Saturday, March 27, 2021
Friday, March 26, 2021
Thursday, March 25, 2021
See my review of the previous movie in this limited series: "Small Axe: Red, White and Blue".
Wednesday, March 24, 2021
Tuesday, March 23, 2021
Monday, March 22, 2021
Saturday, March 20, 2021
Here's where it gets interesting. Shahid makes the case that religious conviction in America is being replaced by political conviction.
Friday, March 19, 2021
|I'd been writing about a stigmatized people, six million of them, who were seeking freedom from the caste system in the South, only to discover that the hierarchy followed them wherever they went, much in the way that the shadow of caste, I would soon discover, follows Indians in their own global diaspora."|
Americans think they know what caste is. It's the social stratification of society in India. Isabel Wilkerson compares and contrasts with its American cousin (slavery, Jim Crow, racism) and German Nazism. This work offers a new way of seeing an old evil.
Thursday, March 18, 2021
See my review of the previous movie in this limited series: "Small Axe: Lovers Rock".
Wednesday, March 17, 2021
Tuesday, March 16, 2021
Monday, March 15, 2021
Friday, March 12, 2021
It seemed like a routine traffic stop, so Neco Bonham asked the officer why he wanted him out of the pickup truck.
Instead of an answer, the 18-year-old received an electric jolt from a Taser, punches to the head and handcuffs during the December 2018 incident, court records show.
It took the Richardson police officer about 15 seconds to escalate the encounter into a violent use of force, said Bonham’s lawyer.Source: Dallas Morning News.
See my review of the first movie in this limited series: "Small Axe: Mangrove".
Thursday, March 11, 2021
It's been said that the 20th Century was the American Century. World War I saw the collapse of all the great European empires. Even England and France, which were victorious in war, emerged as much weaker nations. America was on the rise. It was challenged by Japan and Germany (again), but those countries were utterly devastated by World War II, leaving America and Russia competing in a Cold War for leadership in a bipoplar world. The collapse of the Soviet Empire at the end of the century left America unchallenged as the only tentpole left in a unipolar world. Americans could be forgiven for thinking that the 21st Century would be the second American Century. But then, as it often does, shit happened.
Wednesday, March 10, 2021
Tuesday, March 9, 2021
Monday, March 8, 2021
Saturday, March 6, 2021
Friday, March 5, 2021
Thursday, March 4, 2021
|From 2019 11 20 Abu Simbel|
Another photo after the jump.
Wednesday, March 3, 2021
Tuesday, March 2, 2021
Lake Highlands Blue hosted a forum Thursday night for candidates seeking to become the District 7 at-large trustee for Richardson ISD. Six of the seven candidates attended the virtual event: Amanda Clair, Nicole Foster, Nick LaGrassa, Chris Poteet, Blake Sawyer and Eric Stengel. Gavin Haynes did not participate.Source: Advocate Lake Highlands.
As far as I know, video of the forum is not available to the general public. But the Advocate Lake Highlands helpfully published a transcript of the candidates' answers to three questions (edited for clarity and brevity). I want to highlight a few of the sound bites that most caught my attention. Sound bites, by their nature, take words out of context. Read the full answers at the Advocate Lake Highlands to see the context of these sound bites. Also, keep in mind that for many of these candidates, this is their first run for elective office. They probably have little experience with extemporaneous speaking. These are the answers that I suggest they work on. No doubt they will get more polished by election day.
Monday, March 1, 2021
- 2021-02-01: On one side, there's a coup by people claiming election fraud. Sound familiar? On the other, there's Myanmar's detained leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, who defended Burmese military against allegations of genocide against the Rohingya people. Myanmar loses, no matter who wins.
- 2021-02-01: Headline: "10 GOP senators want deal." Assuming they are sincere, this still implies 40 GOP senators don't want any deal. What does that say about our democracy's legislative process? Without deal-making, there is no unity, which is what the GOP professes to want.
- 2021-02-02: Big Little Lies - Seasons 1-2 (TV 2017-2019): Five women with kids in a wealthy Monterrey private school deal with bullying, spousal abuse, infidelity, bankruptcy, rape. At heart it's a dark soap opera, but it's fun watching these great actresses work with each other. A-
- 2021-02-05: QOP: not all of them are anti-democracy, but on balance, it's now the party of QAnon.
- 2021-02-05: No longer needing to woo the GOP's base is freeing. "Mitt Romney Has a Child Allowance Plan (and It's Better Than Biden's)"
After the jump, more random thoughts.