Repeat tweets from August, 2017:
- Aug 1 2017: RT @ericawerner: "Cornyn on the floor acknowledging any path forward on health care will have to be bipartisan."
That's our Texas Senator acknowledging what should have been obvious, what was the right thing to do, all along. What a waste.
- Aug 1 2017: RT @TopherSpiro: "NEWS: Bipartisan hearings to draft stabilization legislation. Testimony from patients, Governors, and experts."
Vote first. Hearings later. Not the way I remember "How a Bill Becomes a Law" but better late than never.
- Aug 2 2017: The Girl on the Train (2016): Psychological mystery borrows heavily from Rear Window and Gaslight. Well-crafted if maybe too predictable. B-
- Aug 3 2017: RT @costareports: "Secret Service vacates Trump Tower command post in lease dispute with president's company."
Because of course.
- Aug 4 2017: Trump heads govt (Secret Service). Trump owns Trump Tower. But great negotiator can't get a lease done between 2?
- Aug 4 2017: "Russell Barlow, Jr Commits to TCU Hoops."
It's a great time to be a Ram. @BerknerBB #txhshoops
After the jump, more repeat tweets.
- Aug 5 2017: RT @KFILE: "Senator, this seems very different from the opinion you expressed in 2013. U said focus on leakers not journalists."
TX Senator Cornyn flip-flopping (again), reversing a position he took against President Obama so he will be in support of President Trump.
- Aug 7 2017: Dunkirk (2017): Lots of action. Nameless, interchangeable characters. Little dialog or historical context. But powerful climactic scene. B+
- Aug 7 2017: RT @JohnCornyn: "Should journalists, bloggers, and pundits be exempt from laws that apply to all citizens? Yes or no?"
That's our Texas Senator John Cornyn, bashing the First Amendment instead of defending it. Can you imagine him advocating laws limiting 2A?
- Aug 7 2017: The checkout cashier at Target just wished me to "Have a good one." I thought Trump promised us they'd now be saying, "Merry Christmas."
- Aug 8 2017: RT @thedailybeast: "Pastor: God wants Trump to 'take out' Kim Jong Un."
Dallas preacher Jeffress claims to be Christian, but he acts more like an Old Testament religious fanatic who never met Jesus.
- Aug 9 2017: RT @DoyleRader: "If you are writing about Robert Jeffress and don't precede his name with 'radical Christian pastor' then you're doing everyone a disservice."
And be sure to put "Christian" in quotes.
- Aug 10 2017: RT @realDonaldTrump: "Mitch, get back to work and put Repeal & Replace, Tax Reform & Cuts and a great Infrastructure Bill on my desk for signing. You can do it!"
Might carry more weight not tweeted from a golf club in New Jersey. #GoneSwamp
- Aug 11 2017: The Big Sick (2017): Mixed-culture romcom. Tension between him, her and their families. Laughs, tears, and straight drama. Great acting. B+
- Aug 11 2017: Master of None - Season 2 (TV): Great first season now even better. More a rom-com than funny ha ha. Insights into US's complex culture. A-
- Aug 12 2017: Charlottesville proposed moving a statue of Robert E Lee. Some object. Heritage, not racism, right? Then, to prove it, KKK and Nazis march.
- Aug 12 2017: RT @jowrotethis: "David Duke today in #Charlottesville talking how how the hate rally 'fulfills the promises of Donald Trump.'"
The problem is not that we don't spend enough time listening, really listening, to KKK and Nazis.
- Aug 12 2017: RT @realDonaldTrump: "We ALL must be united & condemn all that hate stands for. There is no place for this kind of violence in America. Lets come together as one!"
Call it what it is: White Supremacist Terrorism.
- Aug 12 2017: RT @NBCNews: "President Trump: 'We must love each other, respect each other and cherish our history.'"
Fifty points if you can detect the dog whistle in this quote. (Spoiler: it's in the last three words.)
- Aug 12 2017: RT @PeteSessions: "The racist white supremacist actions in Charlottesville are completely horrendous. We should all condemn them in the strongest of terms."
@PeteSessions, just insert "including @realDonaldTrump" after "we" in "we should all condemn them" and you would demonstrate some backbone.
- Aug 12 2017: RT @marcorubio: "Very important for the nation to hear @potus describe events in #Charlottesville for what they are, a terror attack by #whitesupremacists."
There @PeteSessions, let's hear something like this from you.
- Aug 12 2017: RT @snajmabadi: "Here's how the House just voted on SB 1, upper chamber's main property tax bill."
No thanks to Button, Koop, and Villalba for selling out local control.
- Aug 13 2017: RT @MaxBoot: ".@TomBossert45 had to be badgered by @jaketapper for 20 min before he would explicitly condemn neo-Nazis and Alt Right. Trump still won't."
Stmt made after 20 minutes of badgering is a tactic to change the subject, not a heartfelt sentiment. Same with anything Trump says today.
- Aug 13 2017: RT @zachtoombs: "Just as a reminder, Republicans in many state legislatures are trying to protect drivers who mow down protesters."
Denton County GOP Rep Pat Fallon would make the murder that happened in the streets of Charlottesville legal in TX. centraltrack.com
- Aug 13 2017: RT @BillKristol: "WH staff told Trump they had to put out a statement, but couldn't prevail on him to say it himself, in the first person. A revealing moment."
Nothing anymore Trump can say that can make up for his silence yesterday. Maybe, just maybe, there's something he can do. Fire Steve Bannon.
- Aug 14 2017: RT @lmcgaughy: "New from ex-TX Land Commissioner: If we mean to remove memorials of white supremacists that includes Lincoln."
On Feb. 1, 1865, President Abraham Lincoln approved the proposed 13th amendment abolishing slavery. He more than deserves his monuments.
- Aug 14 2017: RT Mike Godwin @sfmnemonic: "By all means, compare these shitheads to Nazis. Again and again. I'm with you."
Charlottesville (and Trump's non-reaction) leads to a license to flout a long-established Internet law. Have at it.
- Aug 14 2017: RT @robertjeffress: "Let there be no misunderstanding. Racism is sin. Period."
Racism in the abstract? Or racism in the particulars? Like KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists in the White House?
- Aug 14 2017: MT @lynnsdavenport: "@ChrisSalcedoTX u should have Dave and me on your show. He got accused of being R after writing this. Can't win for truthing. dallasnews.com"
Does Lynn Davenport stand behind her earlier apology for making false accusations against her political opponent? It doesn't sound like it.
- Aug 14 2017: Replying to @lynnsdavenport: You linked to an article with discredited information and said "truthing." Also, your Facebook post with the apology is missing. Deleting the apology from your own FB page is not a show of standing behind it. Or of transparency.
- Aug 14 2017: RT @realDonaldTrump: "Made additional remarks on Charlottesville and realize once again that the #Fake News Media will never be satisfied...truly bad people!"
"Well done is better than well said." -- Ben Franklin. @realDonaldTrump can't do either of them well.
- Aug 15 2017: RT @ianbremmer: "Jimmy Fallon using his soap box for real leadership. Well done, sir."
"If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost Middle America." Lyndon Johnson, February 27, 1968.
- Aug 15 2017: RT @JuddLegum: "Does anyone care that the CEO of a major news organization is also functioning as an advisor to the President?"
To be fair, that "major news organization" that Murdoch leads could better be described as state media.
- Aug 15 2017: War Machine (2017): Afghanistan war. Mash of history, satire, tragedy. Brad Pitt is miscast. Mannerisms more Forrest Gump than general. B-
- Aug 15 2017: RT @Pinche_Pi: "This is your final warning @realDonaldTrump, resign now or I will blot out the sun. You have until Monday to comply."
- Aug 15 2017: Take 'em down now and put them in storage for as long as you want to study what to do with them permanently. Fixed.
- Aug 16 2017: The Incredible Jessica James (2017): Aspiring playwright after a breakup. Works with kids. She's complicated. Light, fun, believable. B-
- Aug 16 2017: Whitewash. Robert E Lee believed in white supremacy. He led a secessionist army in defense of slavery.
- Aug 16 2017: RT @ABCPolitics: "Presidents George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush: America must always reject racial bigotry, anti-Semitism, and hatred in all forms"
Two more GOP politicians who reject racism, but don't reject the President who doesn't. #WordsNotEnough
- Aug 16 2017: RT @lynnsdavenport: "Eliminating elected school boards does not empower people. Conservatives quit showing up/voting long time ago & wonder why #txed run amok."
Huh? Blame conservatives for our mess. There hasn't be a liberal elected statewide in 25 years.
- Aug 16 2017: RT @Landonthomasjr: "President Trump's CEO panel on the verge of disbanding."
Warning to CEOs: you'd better quit now while you still have the chance or forever be tainted by your spinelessness.
- Aug 16 2017: Evangelical 'Christians' care about power, sure, but I also think their beliefs are stuck in the Old Testament. They act like black people, brown people, Muslims are modern Hittites, Canaanites, Philistines, etc. Enemies of God's chosen, ie, them.
- Aug 16 2017: RT @brianklaas: "Wall Street Journal confirms CEO council decided to disband first, Trump tweeted he was disbanding them second. Ouch."
Well played, CEOs.
- Aug 16 2017: RT @business: "Pence says he stands with President Trump in the aftermath of #Charlottesville."
Someday, after he succeeds Trump after resignation or impeachment, Pence will be grilled on this answer. He should start practicing answers.
- Aug 16 2017: RT @MittRomney: "No, not the same. One side is racist, bigoted, Nazi. The other opposes racism and bigotry. Morally different universes."
Tanned, rested and ready. Mitt 2020.
- Aug 17 2017: Oh, Hello on Broadway (2017): Comic duo plays two old NY friends. Mix of skits and standup. Relentlessly paced, eventually tiresome. C-
- Aug 17 2017: Each time Mike Wilson publishes Mark Davis in DMN he undermines his paper's credibility and insults readers. Yep.
- Aug 17 2017: RT @realDonaldTrump: "...the beauty that is being taken out of our cities, towns and parks will be greatly missed and never able to be comparably replaced!"
They sure won't be replaced by statues of failing President Trump. OTOH, a few President Obama statues would remind us of better days.
- Aug 17 2017: RT @DrMarshaFarney: "Vote only for Lege that voted to support constitutional pub ed. It's not what they say-it's how they vote! Primary voting -3/6/18."
The best time for this message is next March and November. Last election every one sent me post cards bragging about how education matters.
- Aug 18 2017: RT @MittRomney: "Having created a natl inflection point of consequence, POTUS must apologize & repudiate the racists."
Tanned, rested, and ready. Mitt 2020.
- Aug 18 2017: RT @fwhanna: "Following the outcry from Charlottesville, Six Flags Over Texas will only fly one flag."
Well done, Six Flags.
- Aug 19 2017: The difference between a partial and total eclipse of the sun is like the difference between a one-hitter and a perfect game. Just one hit, but it makes all the difference. See a total eclipse if you can. Dallas gets its turn in 2024.
- Aug 20 2017: RT @DrFunkySpoon: "July 2017 sets global temperature record."
In other news, Trump disbands federal advisory panel on climate change. Because of course.
- Aug 21 2017: Why is it that the people who think the hoopla over taking down statues is ridiculous create so much hoopla themselves over keeping them up?
- Aug 21 2017: Conservatives don't want to touch statues because that would be "changing history." 1/2
- Aug 21 2017: So why do the conservatives on the Texas SBOE never tire of changing our history textbooks? 2/2
- Aug 21 2017: The 2017 eclipse is over. Get ready Dallas. April 8, 2024 is your turn!
- Aug 21 2017: Trump: "My original instinct was to pull out ... but decisions are much different when you [are in] the Oval Office."
It's Trump's war now.
- Aug 22 2017: Logan Lucky (2017): Redneck Oceans 11, where NASCAR not Vegas is the target. Decent fun if you bring enough suspension of disbelief. B-
- Aug 23 2017: Secret Service spent $60K on golf cart rentals. They should be guarding the president. Why are they spending so much time on golf courses?
- Aug 25 2017: If you are following Hurricane Harvey's path across the Gulf and into Texas, you can thank scientists and the news media.
- Aug 25 2017: RT @pastors4txkids: "#txlege members block polite constituents on social media. They want to privatize #txed without us pestering them about it."
Count me among them. @JasonVillalba blocked me years ago for reasons unknown.
- Aug 26 2017: Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk (2016): War in Iraq. Pro football in Dallas. A study of PTSD. Flat acting. Clichéd characters. Watchable. C+
- Aug 26 2017: Rice hosts Stanford in college football season opener today. Hurricane Harvey won't be a factor as game has been moved to Sydney, Australia.
- Aug 27 2017: RT @JohnCornyn: "Texas Becoming A Magnet For Conservatives Fleeing Liberal States Like California."
That's our Texas Senator Cornyn, tweeting this the morning that Houston is under water from Hurricane Harvey. Clueless or just tone deaf?
- Aug 27 2017: Six million people. Last hurricane evacuation was a disaster in itself. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
- Aug 28 2017: RT @RobertWilonsky: ".@CityOfDallas preps third shelter for #Harvey evacuees."
@prvoelker, is the City of Richardson preparing to open shelters for Hurricane Harvey evacuees?
- Aug 28 2017: Lo and Behold (2016): History & future of the Internet. Some topics are promising (AI), some scary (solar flares), some badly misjudged. C+
- Aug 28 2017: RT @FO_Woolverton: "NC Senate map gerrymandered for senator's house."
Best example of why they say voters don't choose their politicians, politicians choose their voters. Take redistricting out of pols' hands.
- Aug 28 2017: RT @TheAthleticCFB: "The CFL announces Art Briles will NOT join the Hamilton Tiger-Cats staff."
Canadians live up to my high opinion of them.
- Aug 29 2017: RT @RafaelAnchia: "You asked how #TXlege voted on #HB1774 affecting claims by victims of #HurricaneHarvey."
Button, Koop and Villalba all voted to make it harder for property owners to sue insurers over weather-related claims.
- Aug 29 2017: RT @dallasnews: "3 black Dallas council members call for Robert E. Lee monument to come down immediately."
It's about damned time those three did the decent, sensible, obvious thing.
- Aug 30 2017: Sand Storm (2016): Girl meets boy. Dad objects and arranges a different marriage. Then dad brings home a second wife. Age-old story. B+
- Aug 30 2017: RT @WayneSlater: "On CNN, flood victims rescued in a dump truck. MSNBC: Beaumont under water. On Fox, excitement and outrage over Hillary's emails."
Advocates of the theory that the best defense is a good offense.
- Aug 31 2017: RT @FormerlyFormer: "Texas needs to erect a statue honoring 'random average dude with a bass boat'".
I know some pedestals that should be coming available soon for new statues... or at least should be if there's any decency left.
- Aug 31 2017: RT @dallasnews: "How gas shortages are affecting North Texas drivers ??"
I'm feeling pretty smug right now that I had the foresight to top off my tank on Wed. OTOH, maybe I overdid it buying that hybrid on Tue.
- Aug 31 2017: RT @realDonaldTrump: "After witnessing first hand the horror & devastation caused by Hurricane Harvey, ..."
I talked to some people who saw the total eclipse of the sun. So I feel comfortable saying that I witnessed the eclipse first hand.
- Aug 31 2017: I'm just going to put this out there: "Abbott says Texas will accept Mexican offer of Hurricane Harvey relief."
- Aug 31 2017: RT @RobertWilonsky: "Mayor: Council likely to vote Wed to immediately remove Robert E. Lee statue. Up to task force, he said, to decide what to then do with it."
The obvious immediate action. Take it down now. Then the task force can talk as long as they want. Does forever work for them?
- Aug 31 2017: BUY A BICYCLE NOW! They'll go fast, fast, fast, when we finally run out of gas for our cars. Don't wait! Start cycling today.
- Aug 31 2017: I'm one step ahead of everyone. I'm cornering the market on bicycles. Bwahahaha.