- Fauve (Canada): Two boys play in the woods, on a train track, in a surface mine, until they get in trouble. Fun and games turns serious. Good acting. A complete short story in 17 minutes. A-
- Skin (USA): Starts realistic but gets progressively extreme and ends up over-the top revenge porn. Why can't people just be nice to each other? B+
- Marguerite (Canada): Elderly woman and her visiting nurse develop a friendship. Nurse freely shares the fact of her same-sex relationship, which causes her patient to recall her own denial of same years before. Sweet and sad. B+
- Detainment (Ireland): Based on real life confessions of two ten-year-old boys who abduct and kill a toddler. One a bully, the other maybe persuaded by peer pressure. Great acting by both. Abrupt ending. B-
- Madre (Spain): Mother gets a call from 6-year-old son abandoned on a beach by his father. Panic grows as phone battery weakens and rescue seems remote. Great acting in scene, but no climax or ending. B-
Tune in Sunday to see the Academy's pick.